When we look at the Internet of Things (IoT) and its utilization of narrowband communications technologies, a number of considerations come into the topic:
- What's the difference between broadband and narrowband RF channels, and why should we consider them for IoT use cases?
- What are the tradeoffs (other than cost) in using wideband rather than narrowband components in an RF/microwave system?
- For purposes of communications range, which is more useful: scaling receiver bandwidth to the signal to reduce noise seen by the receiver, or adding coding gain on a higher-rate signal to combat the high receiver noise in a wideband receiver?
- If you wanted to use the 2.4-GHz band for IoT use cases, how might you overcome the crowded conditions of that 80-MHz-wide slice of spectrum?
- What should engineers consider when designing with LTE CAT M1 and NB-IoT?
In this Media Gallery, we present a brief compendium of articles touching on the topic of the Internet of Things (IoT) and narrowband communications technologies.